Outstanding Student Volunteer - Shalini Satapathy
Shalini Satapathy, wants to nominate herself for the IEEE IC – Outstanding Student Volunteer Award 2021. Talking about herself, she comes from the family of a defense personnel with roots lying in the soul of incredible India, Odisha.With her schooling in different Kendriya Vidyalaya, she has always been academically outstanding with top scores in class and has secured ranks in many international Olympiads. She considers herself an all-rounder and has won in many extracurricular activities. Expressing has always been her plus point. She scored 10 CGPA in the CBSE boards exam. In her High school she scored 94.3% in her 12th board. In the same year with AIR 26796 in JEE Mains, she joined the National Institute of Technology Durgapur. She is an undergraduate student in the Department of Civil Engineering. She ranks fifth in her class with a CGPA of 7.97. Her extra activities in college include:
- She is an IEEE student member representing the Kolkata Section.
- She was a senior executive member of the official art club of NIT Durgapur – STROKES.
She has always tried to balance my academics and extracurricular activities. Her journey with IEEE has provided her with some of the best memories during college. She learned Graphic Designing, Content writing, social media management, Digital marketing, and improved her soft skills, including leadership, personal branding, effective communication, diplomacy, resilience, teamwork, as a volunteer. With just two years of volunteering, IEEE has already become her hobby where she puts in her utmost dedication. Hence, she finds myself eligible for this award.
Talking about the IEEE contribution during last year and past years at the branch were as follows:
From Sep 2020 to Present:
- She got to volunteer in IEEE Women in Engineering International Leadership Summit 2020 hosted by the madras section virtually as a publicist and, delegated in the first-ever virtual IEEE R10 Student YP WIE LM Congress 2020 on the 18th and 19th of September.
- Being a part of IEEE IC SCT-20, volunteered in the All-India Students YP WIE LM Congress 2020. She is proud to add that they got 700+ delegates for the first-ever virtual AISYWLC – the highest to date.
- Got selected as the Social Media Coordination team lead of IEEE IC SCT 2021, chaired by Sneha Chandran.
- Their Social Media team contributed and ensured to bring on an average of 100+ participants.
- Volunteering as the publicity lead for AISYWLC 2021 Co-hosted by IEEE Kerala Section this year. Brought 390+ SBA nominations this year for the same.
- Connected with 20+ Student Branches across Kolkata Section.
From Aug 2019 to Aug 2020:
- Her Volunteering journey started on 31st August 2019, when she was first Selected as a Registration team volunteer for AICSSYC 2019.
- From 16th January 2020 till the Unveiling of the 8th Edition of IEEE Compute in November 2020, she volunteered as a Publicist. Contributed in increasing the number of followers to 1000+ for the social media platforms of IEEE Compute and for the publicity of call for articles.
- Made it into IEEE IC SCT-20 from a pool of 719 nominations as a social media coordinator.
Sectional/ Sub sectional Level:
- She volunteered as a publicist for Xperion and Luminous 2.0, organized by the Madras section and Nagpur subsection in Nov and Dec 2019.
- Volunteered in the first-ever Eastern India Techno-Management Leadership Submit-TechX co-hosted by NIT Durgapur and Jadavpur University.
She worked on the UI of the SB website along with the team. Also, as a senior executive member, anchored in events and publicized events including, MATLAB Mastery, Internship Bootcamp 2.0, and TechX pre-event.
She is suitable for the award as she marks her success by her repeated perseverance. When she started appreciating her work and finally found the joy of volunteering, she was removed from her student branch on 10th March 2020. Being marginalized was painful, and the humiliation of being told that she was not professional enough devastating. She thought of not volunteering later and left a few great opportunities such as IEEE Xtreme 2020. Today she has a contact list of 900+ IEEE volunteers, Students, and YP. She can help people and cater to their needs. She made sure to connect maximum Student Branches of her Section.
The reason that she thinks she is suitable for this award is not only her volunteering experience but also the realization that there will be more volunteers from the section who can look up to her and aim for the better and can contribute to the achievements of IEEE India Council.
Apart from IEEE Volunteer, she is involved in stock marketing, charity work via Chartism. She is a fitness freak, she goes to the gym.
Some of her achievements other than in IEEE includes:
- Most Promising talent awardee in the 7th edition of NITMUN – 21st to 23rd September 2018
- Received Merit Scholarship under Education Scholarship Scheme for Army for the academic year 2014 and 2015.
- Participated and Acquired 2nd position in Class, 73 state Rank and 7332 International ranks in 5th International Science Olympiad 2013
- Participated in 15th SOF- National Science Olympiad secured School Rank-2, State Rank- 73, and International Rank 232
- She have done three internships
- I have done two projects
She believes she has a long way to go ahead, and she will keep exploring the one where she can suit the most.