LTA IC Section/Sub-Section Chair - Sanjay Kar Chowdhary
Sanjay Kar Chowdhary started with IEEE as a Student Member in 1988 and became a full-paying member with PES membership from 1989 onward. He obtained a bachelor’s degree from Jadavpur University in 1987 & thereafter a Master’s degree from IIT Kharagpur in 1988.
He joined Development Consultants Ltd., a private consulting organisation in 1989 and switched to CESC in 1990. He worked in the line function department for 22 years where he worked on the concept of the refurbishment of age-old power transformers and asset management.
In 2012 he switched to the HRD department as Manager and currently working as DGM.
He has published 6 technical papers in various forums like Trafocon, Swicon, etc. He has also worked as convenor of the ET-16 committee of BIS for 3 years.
He is one of the authors of CBIP ‘Handbook on Transformer’ (publication no. 295). His areas of interest are Condition Monitoring & Residual Life Assessment of Electrical Equipment, Asset Management, Knowledge Management & Innovation, Gas Insulated Switchgears (GIS). He joined PES ExCom in 2005 and acted as Secretary of PES Kolkata Section from 2006 to 2008. Later, he joined Kolkata Section ExCom in 2007 and acted as Section Secretary from 2009-2011.
Apart from these roles he also:
- Acted as Chair of PES Kolkata Section from 2014-2015
- Acted as Chair (MD) and Industry Liasion Officer of the Section from 2012 to 2016.
- Acted as Vice Chair, Kolkata Section from 2017 & to 2018.
- Acted as Chair of Kolkata Section from 2019-2020.
- Vice Chair of India Council from 2021 onward
- Chair Industry Relations Committee of R10 from 2021 onward
He initiated a plethora of activities and initiatives as a part of IEEE and a few of them are mentioned below.
- As Secretary of the Section, he attended the R10 meeting at Yogyakart, Indonesia where he made a bid submission presentation for the next R10 meeting, and for the first time, prestigious R10 meeting was awarded to Kolkata Section. All the logistics of the R10 meeting were arranged by him in consultation with the R10 office.
- As Membership Development Chair of the Section, he was instrumental in spreading the visibility of the Kolkata Section across the length & breadth of the geographic area which resulted in the membership count of the Kolkata Section growing steadily. It started from around 1000 in 2010 and reached 4600(approx.) in 2019.
- As Vice Chair of the Kolkata Section, he was end-to-end responsible for the smooth conduct of the biennial flagship event CALCON 2017
- The Conference proposal for the prestigious TENSYMP-2019 was submitted by him in 2017 as Vice Chair and after the award of the event, he as Section-cum-Conference Chair along with a team of 4/5 dedicated volunteers smoothly conducted TENSYMP-2019 including timely submission of financial statement to R10.
- As Chair of the Kolkata Section, he made submissions for IEEE milestone programme in 2019 and finally the milestone granted to CESC Limited commemorating the First Commercial Production of Electricity in Indian Sub-continent, under Kolkata Section in June 2021.
- As Chair of the Kolkata Section, he was instrumental in spreading the Vision & Mission of IEEE to the far north-east states of India under the geographical ambit of Kolkata Section.
- As Chair of Kolkata Section, he instituted one award “˜Lifetime Achievement Award” to recognise the contributions of those members who played a major role in the growth & sustenance of the section.
- As Vice Chair of India Council, he played a major role in securing sponsorship from PGCIL for instituting a joint award.
As Chair of Kolkata Section, he made submissions for IEEE milestone programme in 2019 and finally the milestone granted to CESC Limited commemorating First Commercial Production of Electricity in Indian Sub-continent, under Kolkata Section in June 2021. This is the third milestone under the Kolkata Section. The people of Kolkata would be aware of what was the contribution of CESC in ushering in commercial Generation & Distribution of Electric Power in the Indian Subcontinent. Not only this but as the chair of Kolkata section he was instrumental in spreading the Vision & Mission of IEEE to the far north-east states of India under the geographical ambit of Kolkata Section. The result was the formation of Guwahati & Silchar Subsections. He also played an important role in the formation of the Rourkela Subsection.
The societal impact he has created is commendable, which inspires everyone and the above is a true testament to it. This makes him a perfect recipient of the award – IEEE IC – LTA for Sub-Section / Section Chairs.