Outstanding Student Volunteer - S J Ruthvik
S J Ruthvik served as the Section Student Representative (SSR) for the IEEE Bangalore Section in the year 2020-2021. He has been an active IEEE volunteer for 4 years. For his valuable contribution to IEEE, he was bestowed with the following awards in the year 2020-
- “Outstanding Student Volunteer 2020 – IEEE Bangalore Section “
- “Best SAC Volunteer 2020 – IEEE Bangalore Section.”
- “Appreciation Award for contributing towards R10 MDLT Program.”
He has served as the Student Branch Chair of Rashtreeya Vidyalaya College of engineering Student Branch (STB 11651) for the year 2020, and Co-Treasurer for the year 2019. During his tenure as the Chair, the Student Branch has shown excellent improvements and was awarded
- “Outstanding Medium Student Branch – IEEE Bangalore Section – 2020”.
- “Outstanding Computer Society Student chapter – – IEEE Computer Society, Bangalore chapter”
- “Second Runner Up in Student Branch Website Contest – IEEE R10 SAC”
- “Winner – Global Student Branch Website Contest”
Presently, he is serving as the Section student Representative for IEEE Bangalore Section from 2020. During his term in the section, he has played an active role in various section-level activities that have helped the section in building a better platform for the students and professionals. Some of the key contributions are:
- Member of Organizing Committee – CONNECT 2020 (Flagship International Conference from IEEE Bangalore Section)
- Member of Organizing Committee – R10 Humanitarian Technology Conference.
Bestowed with great leadership skills he has led a team of 25+ Student Volunteers who are handpicked for the Student Coordination Team of the IEEE Bangalore Section. As a part of the SAC team, he played a key role in the curation and planning of 40+ events ranging from Hands-On Workshops, Webinars and Competitions, and conclaves.
He has delivered talks regarding IEEE and its benefits for Student Members as a part of the IEEE Membership Awareness Session in Malnad College of Engineering, through which he was successful in motivating a group of 200+ students and more than 50% of them were made members. He was invited as a key speaker for IEEE Students Conclave – an initiative by the IEEE Bangalore Section SAC team to educate non-IEEE members regarding IEEE and its benefits. He has also closely worked with the newly formed IEEE Mysore Sub Section in guiding and structuring the events and flow.
He has represented IEEE Bangalore Section in various International Conferences and Programs such as – IEEE CTU (Connect The Unconnected) – Served as a part of the organizing committee, IEEE Puzzlers Group, and IEEE CLAP 2021. As an inspiring mentor, he has worked as a mentor for IEEE RVCE Student Branch, I have actively guided them in planning, structuring, and curation of events.
Few Important contributions in recent times made him a recipient of several accolades.
He served as the Chair of the IEEE RVCE Student Branch
- Initiated 3 new student Chapters namely – APS, SPS, RAS, and SIGHT. These initiatives were started to encourage students to gain more exposure in specific fields and attain the best benefits through IEEE. Awards won by the Student Branch for the year are –
– “Outstanding Medium Student Branch – IEEE Bangalore Section – 2020”.
– “Outstanding Computer Society Student chapter – – IEEE Computer Society, Bangalore chapter”
– Third Place in the Membership Development competition.
- Built a team of volunteers for website development of IEEE RVCE Student Branch. The website has helped in increasing the credibility of the Student Branch. The website has received 2 major awards namely –
– “Second Runner Up in Student Branch Website Contest – IEEE R10 SAC”
– “Winner – Global Student Branch Website Contest”
- He initiated a Project Group in the student Branch that focuses on helping students work on Industry-level projects and improve their technical skills, it also provides a platform where students can reach out to experts from Academia and Industry. It motivates the research ideology in students and motivates them to contribute more to technology.
- Served as Section Student Representative – IEEE Bangalore Section
- Planned and organized a National Level Hackathon – HACSAC1.0 which was aimed at encouraging students to explore innovative ideas in the fields of Agriculture, Automation, and Consumer Technology. Participants went through the process of ideation, concept generation, and implementation.
- Worked actively for IEEEXTREME 14.0 and ensured the Bangalore Section had the highest number of teams in the entire world that participated in IEEEXTREME 14.0.
- Conducted vTools training, SAC Learning Series, Membership Development Challenges, Mock Xtreme, and IEEE awareness sessions.
- Helped the section in organizing international conferences such as CONECCT 2020 and BHTC 2020.
It’s not only in IEEE but S J Ruthvik has been volunteering apart from IEEE as well
- Team Captain – Frequency Club, R V College of Engineering.
– He served as the Team Captain for a technical club called Frequency comprising around 100 student members interested who are endeavouring to learn new technologies and develop projects based on Automation, AI, and IoT.
– During his tenure the club participated in various competitions and hackathons. Conducted many workshops to train students with newer technologies and help them develop new skills.
– Trained students in the fields of Embedded Systems, IoT, and their applications. Curated learning modules in the same domains that would help interested students.
- Content Lead & Founding Member – Voice Out an Initiative by Durga India.
Voice Out is an initiative of Durga India, registered as a public charitable Trust, that works toward deterring Sexual Harassment and creating Gender Equal Spaces in India. We are students across India that have come together to prevent online harassment and our goal is to safeguard Online communities for each other. As the content lead my responsibilities included creating and curating content, training interns, conducting events, and spreading knowledge about online safety.
The journey of S J Ruthvik is a great inspiration for everyone and is clearly the right person to be awarded the Outstanding Student Volunteer Award.