LTA – Section/ Sub-Section Chair - K. P. Mohandas
K. P. MOHANDAS is a B.Sc.Engg (1968)-Elec Engg: First Class Distinction and First Rank, Kerala University. He did his M.Tech (1973) – Elec Engg (Control Systems) from Indian Institute of Technology Madras and completed his Ph.D. (1983)- Systems Theory and Application, Indian Institute of Technology Delhi.
Professional Career in India.
Apart from this his other educational experiences are:
- Lecturer- Electrical Engg T K M College of Engg, Kollam, 9-9-1968 to 31-8-1969
- Assoc Lecturer, Lecturer and Asst. Professor, Regional Engg College Calicut, Kerala 1-9-1969 to 16-9-1987
- Professor- Electrical Engg, Regional Engg College Calicut and National Institute of Technology Calicut 17-9-1987 to 30-4-2011
Professor and Head- Elec Engg 2-6-1997 – 31-3-1999
Dean ( PG Studies and Research, NIT Calicut) 1-8-2005 to 31-7-2008
International Liaison Officer and Coordinator, Academic Quality Initiatives 1-8-2008 to 30-11-2010
- Professor- Electrical Engineering and Dean Academic, M E S College of Engineering, Kerala- July 2011 to July 2016
Academic Assignments Abroad
- Visiting Professor, Data Storage Institute Singapore 5-4-1999 to 4-10-1999
- Professor- Elec & Electronics Engg, Cukurova University, Adan, a Turkey 12-2-2001 to 27-9-2001
- Professor & Head, Electrical & Electronics, European University of Lefke, North Cyprus 1-10-2001 to 30-9-2002
Activities and initiatives as Section/Sub-Section Chair.
- Founder Chair, IEEE Malabar Subsection (First Subsection under IEEE Kerala Section started functioning in 2010) Prof. Mohandas filed the petition in April 2010, Approved it in September 2010, and Inaugurated it in Oct 2010. He continued as Chair Subsection till 2012, while I served as Founding Secretary during this period.
- Initiated several social outreach programs. The most prominent one is the annual program, “Roadmap to Success in Engineering Studies” for Class-12 students aspiring to join engineering programs to create awareness about the various branches, career opportunities, soft skills required, etc.
- Along with a few enthusiastic students in Free Software he started Free and Open Source (FOSS) activities at the National Institute of Technology Calicut with support from the IEEE Malabar subsection.
- As founding Chair, Prof.K. P. Mohandas has served as the guiding light throughout the last 10+ years. He regularly attends all the meetings including the last executive committee meeting held on 30-th October 2021 though he has recently relocated to Kochi.
- Prof.Mohandas has served as the Chair of the IA/IE/PEL joint chapter of IEEE Kerala Section and brought many flagship workshops and programs of the society to the colleges under the Malabar subsection.
- He has served as the Chair for Educational Activities of IEEE Kerala Section.
- As Chair of the Conference Activities Board (CAB) of IEEE Kerala Section, Prof.Mohandas has framed the regulations for supporting TCS and Financially co-sponsored conferences by Kerala Section.
IEEE Kerala Section has its headquarters at Thiruvananthapuram, the Southern part of the state of Kerala and many professional members and student members from the Northern districts could not participate in the activities due to the need for overnight travel. Formation of the first Subsection, Malabar Subsection for the districts of Palakkad, Malappuram, Kozhikode, Wayanad, Kannur and Kasarcode has greatly enhanced the networking among the members and more active participation in technical and social outreach programs. Interaction with several IEEE Student Branches in these districts gave a stimulus to the activities of student branches (SB), Women in Engineering(WIE) etc in the region.
Outreach activities like “Roadmap to Success in Engineering Studies” are conducted annually without any break for aspiring students, which has improved the visibility of IEEE among the public. Also, he is serving as the Chief Mentor for another annual series program “Beyond Glass Barrier” or promoting the professional and personal growth of ladies in the Malabar region, both IEEE members and non-members.
Leadership Roles in career
- Served as Head, Department of Electrical Engineering, REC Calicut.
- Served as Dean, Post Graduate Studies and Research in N I T Calicut. He was instrumental in starting 3 M.Tech Programs in Engineering departments and 3 M.Sc(Tech) programs in Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry
- Served as Convenor of National Systems Conference -1998 at Regional Engineering College Calicut
- He has published 52 papers in National and International journals and conferences. Supervised 5 Ph.D. thesis works, more than 30 M.Tech projects and an innumerable number of B.Tech projects.
- He has published a few books
(a) Modern Control Engineering (Details available at – http://www.nitc.ac.in/app/webroot/img/upload/Modern_Control.pdf)
(b) A Guide to Academic Research- Published by Sanguine Technical Publishers Bangalore
(c) Basics of Electrical Engineering
(d) Introduction to Electrical Engg
(e) Author of several eBooks (15 ) on Amazon
Details of all his books are available at (https://www.amazon.in/Textbooks-Study-Guides-K-P-Mohandas/s?rh=n%3A15417300031%2Cp_27%3AK.P.+Mohandas)